Being a nice person is a virtue. Nothing wrong with it. When it comes to business, being too nice could endanger your work and results. It applies for personal life as well. When you stop being too nice, interesting things could happen in your career.
- People Start to Respect Your Time. People value something when it is less available. Set boundaries and stick to them. People will respect the time they have with you more.
- You Make More Money. It is not rude to ask for what you’re worth. You can’t make more money without asking for it. But, figure what you are worth and put together a case about it. Then you can ask.
- Work on More Interesting Projects. It is very simple – when you say no to projects and matters not interesting for you, there is more time for projects of interest to you.
- There is More Time for Things that Matter. Related to the previous one. Screen out events and activities where you would say yes cause of being polite. Then you will have more time and energy for the important activities.
- Attracting the Right Kind of Clients. Communicate clearly to the client your work process. Working time, scope of the project, changes to requirements, e.t.c. Setting boundaries at the beginning of the relationship will more likely cause the client to respect them.
- Feeling More in Control of Your Life. No one else is going to do that for you. When you set your time and interests as a top priority, you will feel empowered to take proactive steps towards your goals.
- Accomplish Goals Faster. Having done goals prioritization yourself usually has great results. You accomplish them in a shorter time.