Being stressed puts your mind in a different mode. The brain goes to a reward-seeking state. The result might be addiction to whatever your brain associates with a reward. It could be food, spend some time on facebook, smoke another cigarette. Your mind looks for a quick fix when stressed, but such rewards do not actually reduce the stress in your body. But, there are several proven strategies to relief stress:
- Physical Activity. Workouts and sport facilitates the stress relief. It also has many other benefits for your physical and mental health. All this again makes you manage pressure better. The positive results you get are long term.
- Meditation. It is not that hard to do as it sounds. Here we have a short guide on how to start. The meditation reduces negative emotions, blood pressure and helps you to relax. The effects are worth trying.
- Reading. One of the best way to escape reality and dive into another world. It helps you to abstract away from what you are doing and relax.
- Listen to Music. Music slows down heart rate, lowers blood pressure and decreases stress hormones. It is one of the easiest things to include in your routine and it is one of the most effective ways to reduce pressure.
- Walk in the Nature. This is a way to get light exercise and relaxation combined. Walking outside reduces stress level and could improve memory and attention by 20 percents.
- Good Time with Friends and Family. Your relationships is something worth to invest in. Good social life provides you with a sense of belonging, increased self-esteem, feeling of security and as a result – it reduces your stress levels. The effects are positive not only for your mental health but also for your physical health.
- Go for a Massage. One of the most relaxing experiences possible. A massage lowers heart rate, cortisol levels and consequently reduces stress.
- Creative Hobbies. Follow your imagination and feel the freedom to create something. When it is not related to deadlines, rules and pressure, you get no stress but all the satisfaction from having created something. It is a way to take a break while still being engaged in something productive.
- Religious Service. To be part of a religious service, to pray, or just to attend such a gathering has been proved to reduce stress levels. Connecting yourself with a higher purpose provides you with more mental, emotional and physical energy.