The key for a successful day is to create a structure so that your days go predictably and smoothly. The more responsibilities you have, the more routine enters in your life. There are a few habits that could help you a lot along the way. These small tips are really helpful when things are going a bit off control.
- Get Enough Sleep. The easiest and the best way to set yourself up for a great day is to sleep well. Often it is simply not possible to have a good day without sleeping enough. A common problem for most of the people is how to fall asleep easily. It is one of the most valuable things you could do for yourself – figure out and establish practices on how to fall asleep at the proper time. Going to sleep at a proper time means that you need some time before going to bed. Stop doing anything, relax, prepare for sleeping. It varies from person to person and it might be a great time waster. The other part of the equation applies to everyone, regardless if you can fall asleep with ease or not: figure out how many hours you need to get a good sleep.
- Proper Preparation Whenever Possible. Your activities start from the morning. Do yourself a favor and prepare yourself for everything you could possibly do the night before. Make lunchbox, get your clothes ready, put keys and other stuff you need to carry with you. Even if you don’t actually do some work, thinking through your next day activities and taking decision on them is a great deal of the tomorrow’s task. Plan and make some decisions the night before so you don’t suffer from a decision fatigue at the very beginning of your day.
- To-Do List System that Works for You. Checking things off your to-do list is a satisfying experience. Having a to-do list helps you set your goals and keep focused. Use a notebook and a pencil, or an application that is convenient for you. Whatever works best for you – figure it out and put it in use. Applications like evernote, todoist, simple pad and a pencil, sticky notes around your desk. Work out gradually the best method for you.
- Schedule Like Your Life Depends on It. It is essential that you know what is coming up on a given day, next week, next month. Use an old-fashioned calendar notebook, google calendar or another app which suits you. You will probably need to push or put certain items on hold due to different circumstances. Having a scheduled calendar will help you do that.
- Take Breaks When Needed. If you are working hard on something and the solution does not come, don’t struggle and stress yourself out. It is more productive, both for your current task and in the long run, to take a break in such a moment. Get up and take a small walk, relax. You need to slow down, get inspired, maybe communicate with other people. Distance yourself from the problem and you could see it from a better angle. Give yourself a break and you can push it harder after the break.