The way you look and feel in your clothes affects greatly your productivity. Formal clothes make you more confident, comfortable clothes make you more relaxed. But there is more. The clothes sometimes determine how people accept you and the way you feel about yourself.
Here we have an interesting experiment, where a person alters clothing style and monitors his motivation, energy, ability to focus. Take a look at the result!
- Confident Versus Relaxed. As mentioned earlier, formal clothing could make you more confident, comfortable clothing could make you more relaxed. When you need to participate in official events, talking in front of people, be careful what impression you make, the formal clothing is your choice. On the other hand, when your workdays are not that communication intense, you work remotely, you need to delve into some subject and deal with complex matters – the comfortable clothing would ease the process. So, before you dress up, define what you want to accomplish. You would have the most energy and motivation dressing up properly.
- Clothes are Symbolic. People tend to surround themselves with objects reinforcing the way they feel about themselves. Clothes are a very good example for that. The symbolic meaning of clothes explains why wearing a suit changes the way you feel about yourself. It also changes the way the other people perceive you. Read on.
- Clothes Affect How Other People Think About You. People have a lot of subconscious impressions about you. That includes, appearance, posture, body language. 55% of workers believe that someone wearing more dedicated business attire is more productive than someone wearing casual clothes. Here is the catch – it might be irrelevant to how productive you actually are, compared to how much you seem to be productive. Anyway, different companies have different company cultures. More and more companies adopt casual dress code, especially for non-sales employees.
- Investing in Your Appearance Makes You Want to Go Out There. You put effort and time to dress up. This is a natural positive motivator. You not only feel more confident spending time and effort, you are also more eager to show up. In general, investing time in your appearance is a productive way to motivate yourself.
- Separate Work Life Form Home life. To separate work life from private life is very important both for productivity and quality of life. Wearing different outfits for different occasions is a great way to accomplish that. A downside of having casual dress style at work is that it is harder to make a difference between your work life and your home life. But, it might be beneficial as well – you don’t feel distracted from your normal attire and you are less stressed at work.