Is it hard for you to get and stay motivated? You are not the only one. Even people who constantly look motivated, are not motivated all the time.
The motivational speaker Anubhav Srivastava shares 10 tips that can help you to bring your motivation up to extreme levels.
- Reward yourself only after something is done. When you have to do things you don’t enjoy, you can promise yourself a reward after the task is done. You need to be self-disciplined and reward yourself only after the work is completed.
- Do the job without thinking too much. Thinking too much how you would do the job, how difficult it is and what problems it may cause, actually is a bigger reason for stress rather than doing the job itself. So, don’t think too much about the job, just do it.
- Clarify the purpose. If you don’t know why you are doing something, it will be harder for you to do it. Two great examples here can be Muhammad Ali and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Both of them had to do lots of hard trainings on an everyday basis while being active in their careers as a boxer and a bodybuilder. The trainings were heavy but Ali and Arnold were persistent because they had their goals right in front of them: to become a great boxing champion (Ali) and a great bodybuilder (Arnold).
- Break down big tasks into smaller ones. Sometimes tasks may seem too complicated and they may be such indeed. Divide them into smaller tasks and start doing them one by one. Sooner or later, when all small tasks are accomplished, the bigger ones will look less formidable.
- Believe in yourself. When people don’t believe they can do something, it is much more likely that they give up. Apart from some physical laws and constraints, there are lots of things that people can do or achieve while they think they can’t. When you are not sure you can do something, try doing things step by step. Take the first step and try to do it. Then the second one and so on. If things are doable, eventually you will finish the big task.
- Change your environment. As children we don’t have control over our environment – where we live, with whom we live and so on. It is sometimes tough to change one’s environment even as an adult but just try to ignore people who are negative, depressive and never motivated to do anything. Try to surround yourself with motivated people who are fighters in life, fighters for their own dreams and wishes. This will inspire you to do so for yourself.
- Follow role models. When it comes to bigger goals, it is much easier when you have to take a path that somebody else has already taken. If there are role models you can follow or learn from in relation to your goals, then do so. You can learn from them how they kept being motivated during the hard moments and never gave up. It will inspire you and help you to accomplish your own goals.
- Compete with others. Competing with others is not necessarily a bad thing. If done in a healthy way, it could benefit ourselves and even our competitors. Sports records are achieved because athletes compete with other athletes. Smartphones developed so much because there are different vendors competing with each other. When there is somebody or something to compete with, then there is a real challenge to overcome and it can help to keep an extreme motivation towards the final goal.
- Keep in mind that time is limited. There is something that can’t be bought – time. Our time on Earth is limited and the more we waste it, the less time and chance we will get to achieve our big goals. Procrastination will not lead you towards your goal. The sooner you realize time is limited, the better.
- Do not fear failure. If you are afraid of failure, you may never start walking towards your goals. One of the biggest causes of failure is either giving up too early or never trying at all. Sometimes success comes after many attempts. Good example here is the popular Angry Birds mobile game. Many people know the game even if they have never played it, but not so many know that it was the 52nd game that the Angry Birds’ creators released. The previous 51 games weren’t that successful but Angry Birds’ creators didn’t give up and finally came up with a great game that gained huge success worldwide. Jackie Chan, the famous Hollywood actor, and Jack Ma, the owner of the popular e-commerce Alibaba, also advise not to be afraid of failure and to keep trying. The path to success is covered with failures too, so don’t be afraid if you fail. Just stand up and keep walking.
Here is what Michael Jordan has said about failure and success: “I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”