Do you often find excuses for not doing the difficult, boring or annoying tasks that we all come across every now and then? You will anyway do them later, right? And sometimes “later” never comes. The tricks below will not make the tough tasks easier or the boring ones funnier, but may help you to stay on task, productive and still have leisure time.
- Get Enough Sleep and Have a Breakfast. Facing the day without enough sleep taken and with low blood sugar is a sure way you will start postponing this and that during the day. You don’t need a complicated breakfast. Some yoghurt, fruit smoothie or boiled eggs may provide you with enough nutrition until lunch. Just do not skip breakfast!
- Start Your Day With a Challenge. Yes, with a challenge. Start with the most challenging or least favourite task to do, even before checking your emails. Once it is done, you would already have accomplished a big thing for the day and the rest of it will be much easier.
- Minimize Distractions. Nowadays this means all kinds of alerts or notifications on your smartphone, tablet or browser, or various surfing through the net. It doesn’t mean you should turn all notifications off. It means you should switch off those that have no direct connection with your work such as social media alerts, game update alerts and so on, or those that can wait for later. If you need to react quickly to certain emails or calls, then you can create some sort of VIP list and get notifications only for them. For the rest of the emails, you can allocate certain time of the day and check them only at that time.
- Adopt the Two-Minute Rule. If there is a task that can be finished in less than two minutes, then just do it. For the rest of the tasks, you can try to split them into smaller subtasks and then step by step you will finish one subtask and then another one and at the end, the big task will be done too.
- Take Breaks. From time to time you have to stretch and stand up from your desk. Even small breaks during which you don’t stare at your computer or smartphone will help your brain to refresh. You can go for a meal break, a cup of tea or a quick walk around the building. Our brain and body also need water in order to function properly and be productive, so don’t forget to hydrate.